About Cooper Tire & Rubber Company
As a leading global competitor in the tire industry, Cooper Tire & Rubber Company, together with its affiliates, subsidiaries and joint ventures has manufacturing facilities on three continents, sales and distribution networks around the world and products that meet and exceed the demands of the world's most dynamic markets. The Cooper family of companies has millions of Cooper produced tires on vehicles around the world, making our products an important difference to the quality of people’s everyday lives.
- Primary focus is passenger car and light vehicle replacement tires in North America
- The 11th largest global tire manufacturer
- The fourth largest tire manufacturer in the U.S.
- Market share in the U.S. is 14 percent in the light vehicle replacement market
- The seventh largest truck and bus radial tire manufacturer in China
Cooper Tire & Rubber Company, Findlay, Ohio
Roy Armes, Chairman, CEO and President
In 2012, Cooper reported revenues of $4.2 billion.
Cooper employs nearly 13,000 people around the world.
Cooper, Mastercraft, Dean, Starfire, Roadmaster, Avon Tyres, Mickey Thompson, Dick Cepek, Chengshan, Austone, Fortune and Mentor.
Together around the world. One team ... One goal: Creating superior value for our customers, employees, partners and shareholders.
Key imperatives of Cooper's strategic plan:
- Develop a competitive cost structure and improve profitability
- Drive top-line profitable growth
- Build organizational capabilities
Tires are distributed through independent dealers, regional retailers, wholesalers and national retailers.
The company's U.S. history dates back to 1914, when brothers-in-law John F. Schaefer and Claude E. Hart purchased M and M Manufacturing Company in Akron, Ohio, producing tire patches, tire cement and tire repair kits.
In 1915, Schaefer and Hart purchased The Giant Tire & Rubber Company of Akron, a tire rebuilding business, and two years later moved the business to Findlay, Ohio.
The firm changed its name to Cooper Tire & Rubber Company in 1946 and by July 11, 1960, the company became a publicly held corporation and was listed on the New York Stock Exchange.